Sonntag, 2. März 2014

micro-saxo-phone. edition III (KSE #175)

January 2011

"micro_saxo_phone, edition II", CDR Laubhuette Production M10 from 2008 gave an overview about what I was trying to state within the traditional course of my former solo recording on Side A of the LP "Plan Eden" from 1986/7 where I had begun to use electronic devices & effects in combination with solo tenorsax, besides some usage of a harmonizer here & there in the early years. On "micro_saxo_phone, edition II" I used baritonsax, tenorsax, alto, sopran, bassclarinet, breathe & saliva noise multiphonics and even bowed the saxes’ bodies (con arco) during blowing and doing percussion with the instrument’s keys.


On "micro_saxo_phone.edition III" I extended the language by means of using the sounds of the key springs which create a kind of meditative Asian feel and also by texts.

I searched for finding a way to voice words during blowing (e.g. at the beginnung of "doublespeak" and tracks 14,15), or underlined words (and other stuff) that I had recorded on cassette in 1972 (when I was 23) or by dubbing an interview with Japanese art photographer Nobuyoshi Araki which I had recorded in 1998 in a kind of double voicing. The same track also contains a sample of Korean Gagok which is a kind of fake classical music - from some decades ago - made in Korea. "doublespeak" is the exception - as a composition – within the solos, as is "chukyo" using some of my eguitar recordings (as well as track 3). There are also some "classical" solos (without all effects or edits): track 9, 10 (underlined alto solo from 1972) and 13.



With that title "doublespeak" I also refer to George Orwell’s term "doublethink", which means the ability to believe contradictory ideas simultaneously. And there are more doublespeak titles here, as "surplussed", "twonky" (software designers’ jargon inspired by a 1953 sci-fi film starring Hans Conried and Gloria Blondell about a TV that is really an alien life form) etc. Other titles refer to themes and authors that I am also dealing with these days (e.g. Ray Kurzweil, Terence McKenna,) . "chukyo" is a dedication to Chukyo University in Nagoya, Japan, where I had been invited by the above mentioned Carl Stone to lecture and had met Fomal Haut, a great artist & pioneer of computer graphics.



Alfred 23 Harth, December MMX

OUT OF PRINT

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen